Thursday, March 17, 2011

Observations from Dinner

So I skipped lunch today and decided to eat a "healthy" earlier dinner. I ended up eating with the older crowd at our local cafeteria. I was one of the first 6 in line.... isn't that sad??? Anyway I listen to them talk about who has cancer and how they had to cut the trash service to save and extra $40 every 3 months.... I start to wonder what people my age will be talking about in our 70's and 80's.... I go to leave and this man stops me... He is probably in his late 70's early 80's... he says "Please don't go"... so I stop and talk to him for a few minutes... his first question: "where's your husband?".... my response "what do I need one of those for"? I don't think he understood my response. So then he asked if i lived in town. I told him "no, just outside of it". He told me he knew the town well. He asked if I lived alone.. I answered yes. He said he did too. I told him I liked it that way, he replied "yes it has it's niceness but it would be better with a partner". I smiled and told him to have a nice day. I imagine that is a routine for him... go have dinner with other town folk hoping to meet someone and have someone to talk to. My heart went out to him, it made me think of my grandfather and what our relationship would have been like if he would have lived longer. I often wonder what it is going to be like when I get older. No kids and my dog sure can't take care of me. I pray my retirement is good and that I won't have to cut garbage out of my life just to afford to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment